-
May 2nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
#11
Inactive Member
jdlowe13, first you didn't mention how big the separation is, or how it is separated. so i will try to cover it all. if the surround tore away from the cone and there is paper attached to the surround you can simply use elmers glue or a latex cement. both will dry clear and will be hardly noticeable except to you . you will just be gluing paper to paper. if the surround came undone from the cone you will have to use a contact cement because of the surround dope. if the separation is less than a inch you can use tooth picks,to both lift the surround and apply the glue,longer and id recommend a cheap paint brush with the bristles cut at a 45 degree angle to get under the surround at the ends. still use tooth picks to lift the surround and take your time. if the surround came undone let the contact cement dry before sicking the pieces together. i hope that this helps.
-
May 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM
#12
Inactive Member
Afterthought;
I don't want to come across as contradicting Bill. My initial feeling was there had been some type of misunderstanding when Josh contacted him for the order, and by no one's fault, he received the wrong product for his needs. Then there's also the possibility that he got the right product, but it's a different product than I had in mind (Bill ships obtained-from-bulk, unmarked containers). My suggestion will work fine, but Don gave the best ultimate advice. Call Bill back.
-
May 3rd, 2008, 04:19 AM
#13
Inactive Member
Thanks for everyone's help to direct me to the correct glue for my repair.
I have one more question, how should I hold/clamp the cone tight to the surround while the glue dries? The only thing I can think of is putting small magnets on both sides of the repair. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh
-
May 3rd, 2008, 04:57 AM
#14
Inactive Member
jd,
if you use the elmers or latex just squeeze it together with your fingers gently going back over it again and again till it sets. it has to be a thin coat. you wont need a lot of glue to get paper to stick to paper. if your using contact cement, slide toothpicks in between the surround and the cone every quarter to half inch till the cement gets tacky then remove them one at a time gently squeezing the tear back together again. if you do this repair slowly and neatly it will only be noticeable to you. you still haven't mentioned how big the separation is.
-
May 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
#15
Inactive Member
Originally posted by Bill F777:
Speaking of glue, I know this is not what you want to repair but I had a 400 watt 18" sub woofer that had the orange spyder separate from the aluminum frame. I did not want to pay for a recone, so I tried Liquid Nails and it held it. 5 years later and a lot of loud concerts it is still working great!
Good tip!
Thanks
Here is a page.
http://www.scicominc.com/aa/catalog.htm
http://www.scicominc.com/aa/step_by_step.htm
http://www.scicominc.com/
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.
Bookmarks